Thursday, January 12, 2012
Halfway There
Today was the beginning of the second half of the school year. This is more good than it is bad. For one, the kids will be out of school soon (Yay! No more waking up early. Well, for three months anyway.) Second, summer is right around the corner. My body can't take anymore of this bone chilling, freeze you to your core weather. Lastly, it's a fresh start. This mostly applies to Trent. Kaela does well in school and I don't have to worry much about her yet. Trent, as you know I'm sure, has always been my difficult one when it comes to school. I've done everything I can to set him up to succeed. He does well with it for about a week and then he's over it. Hmm. That sounds very familiar. Anywho, he now has a tracker for school where he needs to write down all assignments and the teacher has to initial it. It was going well for a week and then he started to slack. I pretty much pleaded with him and told him I am trying to help him. I'm trying to give him the tools to succeed. I want him to graduate to high school. I asked him if he just didn't care? I asked him if the work is too hard? Why isn't he turning it in? He told me he did care. Great! He also said the work isn't hard and that maybe he is just lazy. Figures. He pulled up all his F's from 2nd quarter to C's. I'm happy with that. That's improvement. We are into a new quarter now and he has promised.....again....that he will do better and get his work in. We will see. I told him he has said that time and time again and he needs to show me he can do better. I'm staying positive and I'm thinking a fresh start will be good. I'm implementing some suggestions a friend has given me and it seems like they are working. I'm hoping he can keep his grades up. It is really hard to fail yet he manages to do it. I told him if he handed in all his work and then bombed his tests, he'd still walk away with probably a B, C at the worst. So, we are focusing on him getting all his work in and maybe not so much on the grade since getting his work in seems to be the issue. I figure as long as I'm able to check his work and help him with it he should get a decent grade anyway. I'm hoping this 2nd half is much better than the 1st half. I'm hoping he will end this year with a BANG!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Having the same problem with Cody. Both girls are ding well, but he is struggling, like your son. We've tried the carrot and stick method, threats, calm discussion, all to no avail. Up one week, down the other. Recently informed him, that he may have to go to summer school and even do the same grade over again. His teacher, said he is receiving bad influence from another child. The older they get, the harder to get on track. Hopefully both families, can inspre both boys in some constructive way.
Post a Comment