Thursday, October 2, 2008

The dreaded day has come and gone....

Today was the 5th grade maturation program, and I was pretty nervous about it. In fact, I went back and forth trying to decide whether or not I should let Trent go. He is totally oblivious to anything regarding sex or puberty. We have never had a talk about anything like that. I will try to put off the sex talk for as long as possible because, I like him not knowing. Kids now know too much if you ask me.

Now, to the class, I was happy to see two other moms there with their boys. We sat there in a room full of men and their sons. A little awkward, but not as awkward as it would've been if I were the only one. They first showed a movie, which started out pretty mellow. It talked about personal hygiene and I thought, "Okay, I can totally handle this." Then came a scene where this boy is talking to his uncle and the discussion goes somewhat like this....

Boy: What if I'm not as big as everyone?

Uncle: Everyone grows at their own rate. You will eventually grow to be tall too.

Boy: I'm not talking about that kind of growing.

And, then it goes into talking about the penis size and off we go from there. They talk about erections, wet dreams, pubic hair....everything but sex. As I sit there in a room full of men and boys, I start to wonder if perhaps I may be in a room full of men and their daughters because there is so much giggling going on. I put my head down and start texting a friend because I'm afraid I will start to laugh. Now, call me immature if you want, but sometimes I tend to giggle when things get a little uncomfortable. As we sat there, I can see that most of this information might be going in one ear and out the other as far as Trent is concerned. I later found out that this is not true. During the PowerPoint presentation, the instructor was going over everything discussed. At one point he asked if anyone knew what deodorant was for. Of course Trent's arm shoots up and he is chosen to answer. His answer was, "So your armpits don't stink!" Of course all his friends laugh. After the program there were cookies and drinks and then they were allowed to go back to class to gather up their things. We made it through the program just fine. I made sure to tell Trent that everything he learned in there DOES NOT need to be repeated to Kaela or his younger cousins. This is something for older kids and he is only to discuss it with adults. I'm sure it will all be talked about on the playground tomorrow. We went to the car to sit and wait for Kaela to be excused. Trent said to me, "I bet the girls talked about shopping." And I thought, "If only." He then continued and said, "No, they probably talked about their bodies. Ya know, these." As he made gestures with his arms starting at his chest and moving them out in front of him.

Right now, he is downstairs watching the Dodgers kick some butt. GO DODGERS! I will treasure these days where all he is interested in is sports and his stupid DS and other video games. He is growing up way too fast and will soon be bringing a girl around. I, for one, will feel sorry for that poor girl and will do everything in my power to save her and talk her out of dating my handsome son.

No comments: