Friday, October 17, 2008
How do you fix a lazy child?
Today while waiting in my car for the kids to be excused from school, I see Trent and his teacher walking together in my direction. My immediate thought was "Great, now what?" I don't know why that was my initial thought because I knew why she was walking out with him. I knew what she was going to tell me. So, of course, she says that Trent has been unprepared all week. Go figure! I thought he was doing good because he wasn't giving me a hard time with his homework. He was doing it without hardly any arguements. She then said he is a smart kid and can do the work. To which I replied, "I know, he's just lazy!" I told her I honestly don't know what else I could possibly do other than come to school with him and babysit him and that is just not possible. I am glad she is keeping me updated as to what is going on. I like to know what is going on in school with my kids. I want to know what is going on with them. If for some reason they are having a hard time, I will do everything I can to help them out. There really is no excuse for him to be getting the grades he is getting. He is doing work he learned in the 3rd grade when we lived in California. Yeah, we did just find out he needs glasses for reading. We actually just got those today. So, next week will be his first time with them in school. I'm hoping it helps, but I just don't know. I really do think he is just lazy and I'm pretty sure there is no cure for that. I hear people say he'll learn and he will grow out of it. Well, they have been saying that about a few things he does for years now. He has yet to "grow out of it". So, if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. We have done everything from take his games away from him to taking him out of sports. Taking him out of sports is the last thing we wanted to do. It really is good for him and he gets out there and plays. It really was a last resort. So, anyway, I've about just said forget it and just let him be lazy and suffer the consequences. I just feel like there is nothing else I can really do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I say seriously take away all privilges until he gets his shit together. Privilges being sports, tv, video games, even special foods. Also, make sure he's getting positive reinforcement when he does exhibit desireable behaviors. Did I ever mention I used to work in behavior modification for kids?
Yeah, we have taken everything away from him. He rarely watches t.v anymore. That stopped when we moved into this house. He has some kind of weird issue about going into the basement. Just when he think he is doing well, we find out he is not. So, I don't know. We get stories and all kinds of crap from him. It is really getting very annoying. I'm really hoping that maybe the issue is his eyes and now that he has the glasses, it will help. Time will tell. If not, I meet with his teacher at the end of the month. I might have to suggest he be moved up to the front like last year. That way he can be babysat.
Post a Comment