August 28th is a special day for a couple reasons. Both this year and last we have attended weddings on this day. But, it's just a little more special than that...for me. It's my Gram's birthday.
When I was 15 I lost my Gram. I can't believe that much time has gone by already. It seems like just yesterday she passed. I can remember my cousins Jodi and Mike and my aunts, uncles and parents playing horseshoes the day of her funeral. I remember the beer ball my cousin Kelly and Uncle Butchy ;o) hauled out to the lawn by the pool. The day was more of a party than it was a day of sadness. It's just how my family rolls. We all have a great time when we are together, which isn't too often. My Gram was a tell it like it is kind of lady. She never held back anything. Fiesty...damn straight. She was someone us grandkids never messed with but we loved her like crazy. I can remember sitting at the foot of her bed chatting with her. Her making Puppy Kush. I LOVED that soup and sadly don't have the recipe. Jodi and I came dang close to it but it wasn't quite right. I remember how she ALWAYS had flavored soda. I can still smell the aroma of her cooking corn. I know weird but it's just something that has stayed with me. I got many bee stings up at her place and she was always right there with an onion and telling me that wouldn't happen if I wore shoes. I very rarely ever wore shoes in the summer. Sledding down the hill and making the trek back up to do it again. The lightning bugs up at her place were one of my favorite things and picking blackberries...or raspberries so she could make pie. I still don't know which one it was. Some say blackberries others say they were raspberries. We were always told to not eat any when we were out picking but we always came back with less than what we probably should have :o) She would always just smile and tell us that will do. Those are just a few memories. I have so many from when we would go back and visit and maybe a few from when we lived there. I don't think a day goes by where I don't think of her. I always wish she could've been here to see my kids and maybe in a way she is. She was such a special person in my life that her name is a part of Kaela's middle name....Roseann. It's actually my mom's middle name which is a combination of my grams name, Rose, and my aunts name, Ann. I really can't say enough about her and she is always brought up when we are all together with my aunts and uncles. She was a strong and independent woman who didn't take anyones crap. I can only hope to be a fraction of what she was.....or is.
We love and we miss you Gram! Happy (one day late) Birthday!
No comments:
Post a Comment