When you pull into Delta, UT you might think to yourself this town is nothing special. You might think it's kind of an ugly town or would be pure hell to just live here. Pull in on a Sunday and it's a teenagers worst nightmare. I know this because when I was in 8th grade, we got into town on a Sunday and I was horrified. Just about every business is closed and you'll find only a few cars on Main Street. Delta is a town that when discussed the fact that the only streetlight in Millard County is here...in Delta. Main Street lives up to it's name. Just about everything and anything is on Main Street. There are no big name stores or big name restaurants (unless you count McD's, Subway and Hogi Yogi). I dreaded the day Dalan made patrolman and we were going to move back here. I would miss the city. The malls. Target being 15 minutes away. But yesterday, that all changed. Yesterday I saw something that you don't see as you pull into town. It's something you don't see often anywhere anymore. Camaraderie.
Yesterday was Deputy Sheriff Josie Greathouse Fox's funeral. I didn't attend the funeral because I was one of those unlucky ones who didn't know her. I did however attend the funeral procession. I wasn't going to at first and then decided at the very last minute to jump in my car and speed to the middle school which is where my sister and her husband were sitting and waiting for everything to begin. It was quite a sight to see all the middle school kids, including Trent, pour out of the northeast doors, each of them grabbing an American flag to hold along the route. I later found out that Kaela was also along the route but much further down from where we were. High school students also made the walk over to hold flags along the route. When everyone was positioned and all flags were in place it looked amazing! I have never in my life seen anything like this. Ever. I don't know how many times I looked up and down the street just to take in the sight of so many flags. I opted to not take my camera to take pictures because I felt weird about it but did get a few with my cell phone. As the procession started I stood there holding my nephew. I held him for about half of it and then held a friends baby for the other half. Not once did I sit down. I didn't think the procession would last too long but I was so wrong. My count was an hour and a half, others say an hour and 45 minutes, the news reported TWO HOURS! Whatever it was, every person stood the whole time as numerous vehicles drove by....motorcycles, cars, K9 Units from all over Utah and also from Idaho, Nevada and Wyoming. Three kids passed out while holding flags because they had their legs locked instead of standing with them bent a little. It amazed me how one little community can come together for one person. It was amazing how many kids there are in Delta :o) I overheard a couple people say, "I didn't know there were this many kids here." I think for the first time ever I am proud to live here. I was so proud to know and see so many people take that time out of their day to come down and stand on the side of the street to honor this amazing women. Seeing all those kids standing there not once looking annoyed or tired or even complaining was just awesome! After the procession when I was taking Kaela in to get her hair cut I saw a police officer at the memorial where all the candles are. He stopped, dropped off a pink teddy bear in a plastic bag and just stood there. I have to say, that brought tears to my eyes. It was just one of those moments.
So, anyone can say what they want about this town but when push comes to shove, people do and will pull together here. I always say I wish I could live back east and I still do. It's where I'm from but I think Delta will do just fine.
Below is a quote from an interview with Sheriff Dekker that was on KSL5. He was commenting on how good can come from this.
"The bringing of our communties together to remind us of the blessings that we do have and the good things going on, and that we do have good people here, and that one person can make a difference."
1 comment:
that was beautiful, and I think I needed to hear a very nice post about good old Delta since usually I try not to let out that I lived there. I couldn't wait to leave and I have good memories but I often think negativly of a lot of it. I shouldn't and I love this post. and LOL where did I end up Tooele, so what can I say. You live where you live and now with little kids and all I am grateful to live in a small town. I heard about Josie Greathouse on facebook actually and didn't know her, but was sad about it. It's funny my family first drove into town on a Sunday as well, I thought it was a ghost town. Anyway I was just being lazy and blog hopping I was checking out Kelli's blog and I just started reading some from her side bar and then I ran into this one. So I'm Heidi, I don't think we really new each other, but anyway, good post, sorry for the long comment. take care.
Post a Comment