Friday, September 26, 2008

Western Caribbean Cruise 2008

Before I begin, I have to say WE LOVED OUR CRUISE!! We were on the Carnival Valor. The staff was amazing! They were all so kind, funny, the best! Most people on the ship were so kind and fun to talk to. The food was amazing! We definitely had our fill. I ate til I was about to explode. I never do that. By the end of the cruise, we were sick of eating. I am happy to say I finally gained some of the weight back that I lost when I was sick...YAY! This was the best experience ever and I can't wait to go again. Pictures are at the end. Now......

On Septemeber 12th we left Utah to fly to Florida and get on the ship and head for blue waters, warm weather and everything wonderful that is the Caribbean, but first, we spent the 13th in Vero Beach. We went up to visit with my cousins, a friend and my aunt and uncle. It was nice to see them all since the last time I saw my aunt and uncle was when I was 17 and my one cousin was at my wedding 10 years ago. So, it's been a while. When we got to my cousins house, we chatted a bit and then went to Chili's for happy hour. We snacked on nachos and drank margaritas. Good start to the amazing vacation that was ahead. Michelle (friend) met us at Chili's. From there, we went gator hunting. Dalan really wanted to see a live gator. We were unlucky, but did find a dead one along the side of the road. Dalan was really excited about that and literally jumped over Michelle to look out her window to see it. We all laughed hysterically and they are still talking about it in Florida. After that we went to my aunt and uncles to have a delicious dinner. We had a great time visiting and didn't want to leave.

September 14th we headed to the cruise ship at 10:30 AM to sit and wait. It actually worked out nicely because I would rather go straight through the line and sit in a chair for a couple hours than stand in line for a couple hours. Once we got on the ship Dalan wanted to run all over it and see everything. I wanted to sit, relax and get a drink. Apparently, he forgot it was a 7 day cruise and not a 3 hour tour. So, day one was mostly spent looking around and eating at the buffet. We didn't go to the dining room to eat because we were just too tired and didn't feel like getting ready.

September 15th was a fun day at sea. We were new to this whole cruise thing and just didn't really know what to do. We tried to see and do all the events. We mostly ate and drank though. There was a cocktail party that night right before dinner. So, we had meatballs and wontons? and drank some champagne. That night was the first formal dinner and the first time we met Jackie and Allen. They were our dinner mates in the dining room. They are from Florida. The first day on the ship Dalan had pointed out a girl who looked like someone we went to school with. So, we were basically "checking her out" and trying to decide if that really was her and if not, wow, she looks a lot like her. Well, we didn't find out til the last day this was Jackie. They were showing video of the cruise on our t.v. and they showed the exact moment when we noticed her, Dalan and I both almost simultaneously said, "THAT WAS JACKIE!!" When we first saw her, she was wearing sunglasses, so that is why we didn't recognize her initially. I thought it was pretty funny and strange. Anyway, after dinner I think we went to a show and then met up with Jackie and Allen at karaoke. They got up to sing, we filled out the paper, but Dalan never turned it in. I think Allen ended up turning it in, but it was too late. After karaoke, we all went up to get some late night pizza. Day one...done!

September 16th was our first stop, Grand Cayman. We did the Rays and Reef excursion. I have heard many people say the stingray excursion is amazing. Ours was miserable! I would never do it again unless someone told me exactly who they went through and where they did it. They fed them in a small area and there wasn't much room. If you wanted to be close, you were risking being kicked in the head or belly bumped by someones head as they swam up. So, I stayed off to the side and the rays swam my way every once in a while. I was satisfied with that and ready to get back on the boat. When we got back to port, we stopped to buy Rum Cakes. They are the most delicious thing ever. Grand Cayman seems to have a pirate theme to it, which I thought was cool because I LOVE the movies Pirates of the Caribbean. So, after getting a couple souveniers, back on the ship we went to hang out and drink some more.

September 17th was the day Dalan and I started dating, so this marked 14 years together!!! We stopped in Roatan, Honduras. There we did the snorkeling, clear kayak and Gumbalimba Park excursion. Snorkling was so much better here. We enjoyed it a lot more. The clear kayak was not what I thought it would be, but Gumbalimba Park was pretty cool. We were able to hold parrots and monkeys. I love monkeys, so this was a lot of fun. Time flew while we were there and before we knew it, it was time to hurry back, shop for souveniers and get back on the ship. I was left with an hour to get ready for dinner and amazingly, I made it! I was quite impressed with myself, but now Dalan will think I can get ready that quickly all the time. We went to karaoke the first few nights of the cruise. I almost auditioned for Britney Spears, but then someone went up there and then more people and I chickened out. I don't like to be the center of attention and would much rather just watch. I really need to get the guts to do this if we ever go on another cruise. It was either this night or the next they had this comedian who was HILARIOUS!!! I was laughing so hard I was crying. His name is Happy Cole. The whole place was roaring with laughter.

September 18th we were in Belize. We did the Raiders of the Lost Mayan Cave excursion. Not what I thought it would be, but it was still pretty fun. We walked through a cave similar to Lehman's cave. We were able to zip line and do what they called repelling, which really wasn't repelling at all. One of the guides thought Dalan was my father. I giggled and thought it was pretty funny. When I told him I was 30, his jaw dropped and he said he thought I was 16. I love looking young! This was another day where we got back to the ship and I had little time to get ready, which sucked because this was the 2nd formal night. Again, I managed to get ready on time and with some time to spare. I really don't know how I do it.

September 19th, by far the most interesting day of the trip and probably the most fun. This was our last stop, Cozumel, Mexico. WHOO-HOO! I love Mexico! We did the beginner's scuba diving here. It was amazing! I freaked out at first, but the instructor was very patient with me and wouldn't let me quit. He let me adjust at my own pace. After about 5 or 10 minutes, I was fine and he lowered me down. I was so glad I adjusted because this was the coolest thing ever. The water was beautiful and clear. The fish were amazing! I loved it! We loved it! After this, we headed back to the shops and walked around a bit. Everyone is trying to get you into their store. I told Dalan I would need a alcoholic beverage for the walk back. Boy was I sad when we got to the end and there was nowhere to get a drink. I figured hold my head down and just walk quickly. When we got back, off to Senior Frogs/Carlos and Charlie's we went. We went just for nachos but ended up drinking way too much. I don't know what they put in their Margaritas, but holy crap, I'm amazed we made it back to the cruise ship, BUT not before I spotted Davy Jones and made Dalan take my picture with him. My memory is a bit fuzzy for the next few hours. I don't remember going through security to get back on the boat. I don't remember the elevator ride up to the bar by the pool. I do remember Dalan talking football with some guy and Dalan ordering me another drink even though I didn't want it, which pretty much did me in. I somehow ended up in the bathroom dizzy and I think banging my head on the wall. A lady came in calling my name, but I don't remember ever leaving the bathroom or going down to our room. Apparently, I forget all the walking parts. So, basically I was pretty sick and hopped into bed and stayed there for a bit. Then, I hear Dalan yelling from the hallway, I thought, I later found out he was on the balcony. He is yelling at Jackie and Allen who also amazingly found their way back to the ship. Up they come to our room and jump on me with their little balloon hats. I was under the covers mysteriously missing clothing. Funny how things just disappear. Dalan takes some pictures and off they go. Dalan ended up locking himself out of the room and I didn't want to get up to let him in. I don't know how he ended up getting in. I do remember Allen returning to tell me Dalan went to get new keys because he blamed me for losing the orginals. Allen then said he needed to go because he would get in trouble and was positive he would see me at dinner even though I said I wasn't going to make it...which I didn't. After a couple hours I did manage to pull myself together and try to go out and about, but had to go back to the room because I wasn't handling it well. Oh, and while I was getting ready, I found the original keys...IN DALAN'S SWIMSUIT. Go figure! I think I went to bed that night in jeans, my shirt, jacket and possibly my shoes. YAY for Carlos and Charlies, and I think I will visit them again one day.

September 20th...ugh! I had to drag my butt out of bed to go to breakfast. Thank God this was a fun day at sea. We pretty much just hung around on the boat and tried to do what we could. We actually played Bingo twice this day hoping to win the money and pay for our cruise. Yep, no luck. We ate dinner in the dining room and then went to a show in which the guests were the stars. This is the show I would've been in if I tried out for Britney and made it. It was hysterical! After the show, we said our good byes to Jackie and Allen and exchanged Myspaces. We pretty much just went back to the room to finish up packing.

September 21st we sat and waited, and waited, and waited to get off the ship. It took forever. Once we were finally off, we headed to the hotel to take a nap. For dinner, we ate at Bubba Gumps and then visited the beach. This was the end of the trip. The next day, we flew back to Utah, and I was depressed at the sight of it. No more warm weather, no more blue water and no more beaches. SIGH!

Our cruise was amazing and I loved every minute of it. We both would love to go again. It was the best vacation we had ever been on. Now we are home and back to the same old routines, which is fine I guess. I did miss the kids and the kids were excited to see what we brought them. Now, I think I am going to eat my Rum Cake, because I haven't yet. I am amazed the thing has lasted this long and I haven't eaten it yet.

BON VOYAGE!

No comments: