Friday, March 27, 2009
It's that time of year again.
Girl Scout registration is coming up again and that means that I am being approached again to get a troop going here in Delta. I was a Girl Scout when I was younger, so they really, really want me to step up and do this since I know the program and what it is all about. I've tried to get one going once and failed...miserably. I guess if I put forth more effort maybe I would've gotten more of a response. I pretty much just sent letters to school with Kaela to hand out to the girls in her class. I never put a set day or time for when we would do meetings and left it to be workable with the parents. I did not hear back from anyone who was interested in this program. It is sad really. We drive 30 minutes to Fillmore just so Kaela can be involved in a troop. Kaela loves Girl Scouts. I know she would love it even more if she were in a troop with friends she goes to school with. They do so many fun things. It's a shame that we can't get something going here in Delta when Fillmore has at least three troops and they are possibly adding one or two more. When it is cookie time, I am constantly hearing how people miss having Girl Scouts here in Delta. They are so excited to see us going door to door or sitting in front of Quality selling cookies at our little booth. All I need is five girls to get a troop going. I think I could get the five girls pretty easily. Kaela and my two nieces takes care of more than half of that number. What I am lacking and can't seem to get anyone to step up to do is be an assistant leader. I have to have that or there's no troop. Again, I have put forth little effort into looking or talking to anyone about it. I really wish my sister would do this with me. I think it would be so fun to do the activities and go to camp with her and our troop. She works and has a baby, so I understand why she can't. It is a really fun program for girls and they learn a lot from it. If you have a daughter, this is a program that they should be involved in if possible. We have gone to camp, we have made a float for the light parade, we sell cookies and Kaela gets credits from that and earns her way to camp, we've gone to the zoo and have made and learned so many other things. Kaela will be going to camp again this summer and her troop is currently trying to decide whether or not we want to go to the Zoo Snooze or to the Tuachan to see Annie. I'm going to try to get something sent to school with Kaela again to hand out and see if I can get a response this time around. If I can't, I'm going to have to get aggressive with this. This needs to be done. We need to get a troop here in Delta. That's it! I cannot fail at this. No, really, I can't because the Girl Services Director at Girl Scouts of Utah will not let me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
If I lived in Delta, I'd have Jordyn join! That's too bad you can't get someone to help you. You know, that is a program I think Jordyn would like. I;m sure there is a troop here. How old do you have to be to be in girl scouts? I may have to do some research...
Post a Comment