Tuesday, December 15, 2009

D.A.R.E Graduation

Two blogs in one day. WOW! This is a rarity but I was so amazed by a few words I heard that I had to write something about it. So, if I'm excited to type it all out, you better be excited about reading it.

Today was the D.A.R.E Graduation at Trent's school. Only three 6th grade classes participated in this program. Why? I know there is at least one more 6th grade class and they didn't participate. Does that automatically tag them as the kids who are a lost cause or were they gifted with the common sense to know right from wrong? If it is the latter, I'd like to introduce them to a few people. Anyway, I was going to skip this because I honestly didn't think it would be that big of a deal but I'm glad I went. I learned something new. It started out with two kids from each class reading their essays they wrote. Trent claims his was ranked third in his class. He just missed out on that one...darn it! I sat through and listened to each essay. I learned that Marijuana has more tar than tobacco. Hmm..didn't know that. I've always heard that Marijuana is natural, so therefore it's not as bad as cigarettes. What do I know? I've never done the stuff before and I figured others knew what they were talking about. Guess I should've just Googled it.

Anyway, Trent has taken the pledge to stay drug free. Please God, let him stick with this one. Drugs is one thing I never got into, unless you count alcohol and I did try smoking but I don't count that. Smoking is a disgusting, nasty habit. I really don't know how anyone does it. I do not hold it against those who do it, it's just not my thing and I really like my lungs and being able to breathe. Anyway, I'm kinda getting off topic here.

So, the officer who was there speaking said something that really surprised me. He told us parents, "I DARE you to look through your childs pockets, in his backpack, go through his dresser drawers, etc." I was taken aback. I mean, in this day and age parents are always talking about how kids need their privacy and parents shouldn't infringe on that. Parents should never go through their childs things. Oh really. These are the same parents who claim their kids share everything with them because they respect their privacy...uh-huh. Sure. I don't care if you are parent of the year, your kids will hide things from you. My kids know I will go through their stuff at any given moment. I mean, it's not something I told them, it's just understood. I don't literally go searching for anything but nothing is off limits to me. I have access to their rooms. I go through their backpacks (mostly to make sure I'm getting the papers I should be getting). Trent has an e-mail and a Facebook account and when I let him have it I told him I will have full access to it. I will see everything he does and everything he says so he better be careful and not be stupid. It all comes back to common sense. I think that kids can and should have some privacy when it comes to certain things. Some things should be "their own" but for the most part, parents should be checking up on their kids. If the kids had a journal, I think I would leave that alone. However, if they acted like something was wrong and they were just down, you can bet I'd be reading but I hope they know they can talk to me about anything.

So, I guess I don't see anything wrong with going through your kids stuff. I think sometimes parents give their kids way too many freedoms too early in life. And going through their stuff isn't such a bad thing. If I was one of those parents who felt the kids things were their things and they were totally off limits and something happened which could've been avoided if I had snooped, well, I'd feel pretty bad. I'm not taking that chance ever. I'm proud to say I snoop through my kids stuff...kind of. And I only say kind of because it's more like stumbling as I'm doing daily chores.

JUST SAY NO!

No comments: